Just wanted to let you all know that Amazon is running a promotion on my brand-new novel, Treasures of Home. For a limited time, you can purchase my book for $6.99 (that’s over 20% off). Take advantage of the offer and buy yourself, or a friend, my latest book.
- Who should read my book?
- A. I wrote with a 12-year-old preteen in mind, but middle-school books range from 8-12 years of age. My nine-year-old daughter loved it. However, Madeleine L’Engle said, “You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.” My hope is that people of all ages will appreciate this book. The main character deals with some tough issues (moving, loss, grief, change, and prejudice).
- Should I be concerned about the content of this book?
- A. I would love for the parent to read the book before passing it off to their child, but if that’s not possible, here are a few things to assess: the rebellion in the book is minimal and more internal than spoken. The main character deals with some painful experiences, but I can’t go into much more or I’ll give the plot away. 🙂
I do not mention anything about sex, violence, abortion or homosexuality. Also, there’s no profanity (unless you consider ‘crap’ and ‘sucks’ profanity–I believe there is one use of each in the text).
- Q. Where did you get your inspiration?
- A. As many of you know, I’m a huge Madeleine L’Engle fan. The kids and I just finished my second reading of A Wrinkle in Time and I adore her little-known YA book, And Both Were Young. Several years ago, I read The Help and appreciated the stylistic quality of multiple perspectives–something Palacio also does in Wonder.
As for themes, I didn’t shy away from hard topics, but also wanted kids to delight in the sweetness of growing up and learn to appreciate the beauty of family (something wholly depleted in our culture).
- Q. Where can I find your book?
- You can order it on Amazon today!
Also, you can find my latest children’s book, A Pendant’s Promise–written and illustrated by yours truly–on Amazon.