Cancelled TV shows, film sets closed down, sports barely played, and through it all, I’ve said, “What’s to miss?” Another lesson of 2020 is this: we don’t need our celebrities to survive…or even flourish.
We need to realize this truth within the church as well. Where are the bold and courageous leaders now? Where are the men on platforms who claim large audiences? Should we even be listening and following them anyway?
We are all equipped and we are all granted the Holy Spirit’s power and no one should be “higher ranking” than anyone else. Jesus is the One that spoke “follow me” over his disciples. Even Paul warned against elevation and didn’t want to become a Celebrity Christian in their eyes either.
“My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas[b]”; still another, “I follow Christ.”
13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power” (I Cor. 1, NIV).
So, have we fallen into star gazing and lost sight of our true Light? Here are a few questions to help you probe deeper.
- Does being around this person make me want to be more like him/her or more like Jesus?
- Does this Christian celebrity put their picture on the front of most of their books and are they (and their presence) the first thing you notice?
- Would you be willing to endorse what they taught or study that section of the Bible if their name wasn’t one it?
- When they stumble or falter (as all Christians will at one point), does the disappointment carry over into disillusionment with God Himself or even the church (big C)?
- How is God calling you to reposition your devotion to God and God alone?
Remember, He is our Guide, our Divine Calling, our Purpose and Peace and no one else comes close to giving us that direction. All good spiritual guidance and wisdom comes from Him, and we walk with Him.
We don’t need celebrities in this world to thrive, and we certainly don’t need them within the Church either. There’s only one Star and He should not have to share the spotlight with anyone.